Between getting through a day without your phone, dealing with drama and keeping up with all the trends. Being a teenager is hard. Most of us have to deal with this and simultaneously figure out the next big step in our lives. College. College is where “your life begins and childhood ends.” When deciding schools we often forget about community colleges. Are community colleges all that bad? Are community colleges worth going to? Let’s put it to the test.

Risk vs. Reward

Community colleges are two-year institutions that allow students to get their associate degrees in the field of their choice. A four-year university can grant you a master’s, bachelor’s and doctorate. Community colleges typically cost less and have fewer people attending them. Although money is a factor for many students when looking at college, is it worth sacrificing meaningful experiences?

Why not?

There are thousands of four-year universities that students will choose from. Reasons for choosing your university vary. Christina Barefoot will attend Mississippi State University in the fall.

“I have a bunch of transferable credits that will shave off some of my ‘prereqs,’” Barefoot said. “Also, I have always wanted to rush my first year of college.

At a community college, you do have the opportunity to get involved in activities on your campus, but nothing like a sorority or fraternity. Abby Jo Flowers will attend Southern Miss in the fall.

“For me, I feel like if you don’t go to a four-year university you miss out on a lot of experiences, like freshman welcoming and being away from home, Flowers said. “Also, I have a lot of money so there was no point in me going to a community college.”

Being away from home and living life outside of your hometown is an experience seniors look forward to. Community colleges are great for knocking out credits, but can often leave their students without the “college experience.”

Why so?

Sometimes community colleges get a bad rap for their dullness. What’s the point in going to one? Jenna Dent is a freshman at Holmes Community College.

“ I think it’s a better “transition” step; you get a lower student-to-faculty ratio and you get some experience in classes that have more accessible resources before you go to a university,” Dent said. “Also, I didn’t care about the social experience.”

Four-year universities offer great social environments, .what if you’re not into it? Then community colleges are just for you. If you have trouble adapting to big spaces, community college is great for you.

In the 11th grade, I decided to graduate early. At the time, I had no idea where I was going or what I was doing. I eventually decided that I should go to Holmes Community College. At the time, I was embarrassed. I believed that you can’t have a social life at a community college. Fast forward to now and I still get to see all my friends and have joined more clubs than I did in high school.

In the fall, I will be transferring to the University of Mississippi as a sophomore, but I will have all of my prerequisite classes out of the way. This means I can just go to the university and pursue my degree. Therefore, if your main goal is to party and then get an education, a four year might be better for you, but if your goal is just to get an education, anywhere will work for you.

Conclusion

This might seem overbearing, these are the realities that teenagers must think about. Maybe you could miss out on an important part of social life, community colleges do offer you a better buck for your money and are less stressful. Although you could spend a lot more money and it also may not be the right fit for you, four-year universities offer a great social community and connection that can last forever. At the end of the day, both are great options to consider and both will get you the degree you deserve.